I will think of a better name for this blog one of these days.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Strange Contest in Class Today

Learned the chinese word 憋 (bie1) in class today. It means suppress or hold back. The usage example the teacher gave for this word was 憋氣 (bie1 qi4). Which means hold your breath. So out of the blue the teacher said everyone hold their breaths and she's gonna time it. See who can hold their breath the longest. The first person gave up after 30 seconds. . . PATHETIC! i wanted to laugh at her for having the lung capacity of a chain smoking 6 year old with pneumonia. . . but then i realized that laughing means i'd need to let a little bit of air out of my lungs which might still contain a small amount of unused oxygen, which might make me need to breath sooner. So I didn't laugh.

After almost two minutes of holding my breath. . .

I passed out. I think an hour has passed, I'm here typing this on my PDA in the emergency room. The doctor told me there's probably no brain damage but I should check back in a few days.



Just kidding about the passing out, emergency room, and brain damage part. I was the last one to start breathing. So I guess I won this impromptu breath-holding contest. But I feel kind of stupid because my face got red and i started sweating a little. I'm normally not competitive at all 99% of the time, but sometimes, for seemingly completely random stuff I'm ultra competitive. I feel like I just have to win.

1 comment:

P said...

Haha. You're so silly! But yeah, I know what you mean about the whole random competitive thing. =P

Contributors